"Be happy for this moment, this moment is your life" -Omar Khayyam

"Enjoy the little things in life...for one day you'll look back and realize they were the big things."
-Robert Brault

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Happy Mother's Day, Mama!

Mother's Day was a simple affair around here this year. The highlights included watching Kate's preschool class perform a darling singing concert during the morning church service, followed by a picnic lunch down at our swing set. Maddie and Kate were both so excited to have me open the gifts they had made for me. Maddie's was a beautiful set of note cards with a tulip design she created and printed herself, and Kate made me a sweet tea towel with her four-and-a-half-year-old hand prints all over it.

Best of all, even Ellie got in on the action. In the days before Mother's Day she began saying "mama," which I think we can all agree, are the sweetest two syllables any mom can hear. It is especially endearing when she says it over and over again as I'm holding her, and she's patting my shoulder. And to spread even more icing on the already sweet cake, on Mother's Day night she went to sleep in her crib at eight o'clock and didn't make another sound until six the next morning. I woke up in a panic and ran to her room, only to be greeted by a baby sitting up and playing contentedly with her blanket. The first night of solid sleeping always has this effect on me. LOVE the uninterrupted sleep, HATE the moment of sheer panic (something must be wrong! I haven't slept through the night in months) Only took us ten months to get here, now we'll have to see if it lasts.

No comments: